Celebrity Cafe

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Spurts of Energy

Do you have days or periods of time when you produce a great amount of product, whatever your product is? Maybe you clean the house, empty out closets and reorganize them, do your kitchen cabinets with that spray cleaner that polishes them and no one knows it but you. Well I had one of those periods. It didn't result in a cleaner house.

I have a lot of energy anyway, but when a friend pointed out that I had been so productive since I lost my job, I looked back to see what I had done. I was reorganized out of my position in February of this year. I lost no time in trying to find another position. I need the security of a group insurance and a steady paycheck. And still I spend 20-30 hours a week in my search. It's not going that well, but that would be the subject of a different blog.

Even without a real day job, I have a three-year-old at home, a college-age son who's working this summer, but can't find the time to make his own lunch in the morning, e-mail, a blog, maintenance of my own website (http://www.geocities.com/shailstock), romance articles for newsletters and magazines, romance conference materials to send to the conference chairs, donated books to send out, promotional items to design and order, contracted books to complete, fan mail to answer and proposals to write and mail. I'm a little busy.

I'd already paid for several writer's conferences so I went to them, and picked up some new contacts and information about opportunities to sell projects. I have the hope of selling enough manuscripts to write full-time and support myself in the style to which I would like to become accustomed. And I think big. I didn't expect it to happen overnight. I'm willing to let it bill, but in two years I should getting up there, right? We'll see. So far the publishing world and I haven't aligned to my expectations. But I live in hope.

Writer's conferences always inspire me. After attending them, I come home and go to my computer, or even before I get home I write on the plane or train. Beginning last Janaury I had written or updated and sent out eight different proposals and a fully completed manuscript. It appeared nothing was happening for six months, then in June things began to heat up (no pun intended). At this writing, I've had one rejection, three sales, and found an agent to sell my mainstream.

While the money won't keep me in the style.. yadayadyaada...I'm going to be very busy in the next year getting those books written. I'm glad I have a lot of energy and I love writing. I love the proposals that sold. I love them all whether they sell or not.

So my ktichen cabinets will have to remain in their current state, although I'll be forced to clean the sticky floor (why are kitchen floors always sticky). Who knows, maybe I'll have a heroine who likes to clean and I'll have to do research...I don't think so.

Wherever your energy takes you, look back at what you've done over a period of time and see how productive you have been. You might be surprised.

Shirley Hailstock
http://www.geocities.com/shailstock

2 Comments:

  • shirley hailstock,
    im Jannerys Roman, a former reader and fan of yours. i would like to know more about what whind up happening after Adam's and Rosa, vida and mikes wedding did vida accept the offer of double wedding. i feel you can make a movie out of Last night's Kiss.. the book was wonderful i wish there could be a part two to last night's kiss.. youre an awsome writer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:44 PM  

  • it's Jannerys again, i almost forgot. you can email me at Tchula87@hotmail.com if any response to my question ma'm.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home