Celebrity Cafe

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Dirty Little Secret

The Storm
It took me a while to wrap my head around the horrendous images that befell the good citizens of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. I heard the warning to get out of the area on Sunday and knew that not everyone would or could. Having friends there I began calling to check on their safety. As the storm grew in size and strength I knew it was already too late. I turned on CNN as the storm hit on Monday, (I’ve never watched CNN for more than a few minutes) and watched glued to the set for the next five days. I finally turned away Friday evening. As the water poured in and terror began I watched helpless like the rest of America as Katrina did her worst. Three states hit by what looked like the wrath of God sent me to my knees.

The people
The shock and awe of watching the tragic event play itself out over the next few days was nothing less than heartbreaking. I can’t even begin to express my heartfelt grief for the survivors and my stunned silence for those who didn’t. In as much, I can’t even begin to imagine what they went through. Seeing the faces, hearing the stories and reading the reports stunned us all. Without food, without water, without supplies and without hope their courage and bravery stood out as unlikely heroes stepped up even as outrage within a nation and across the globe began. Our families, friends and fellows citizens had been betrayed.

The Outrage
I, like most, am appalled by my government and its response or rather lack of response to the Gulf Coast. Yes, world this is not shocking to most African Americans. We know our government well. Over a century of slavery, Jim Crow, segregation and continued disdain have prepared us and instilled in us the reality of the truth. We are a people who have learned to survive and endure and once again, against all odd, we did and we will.

The Shame of Blame
We, the strongest, richest most powerful country in the world have inadvertently let out the dirty little secret that’s been kept hidden for centuries. We stand in judgment of China and other tyrannical nations without looking into our own closets. Days, weeks and months of committee meetings and congressional hearing will surely be played out for the public. Sound bites, photo ops and news conferences filled with self-righteous anger and outrage will be viewed but in the end the question will always remain, why?

At Last
It’s too late for possibly thousands. You can’t change the past but you can learn from it and do better for those who survived. Your thoughts?

Celeste

1 Comments:

  • The storm has really taken alot of us by surprise, disbelief, anger and now we are "ALL" out raged because the "Government" did nothing for days. I am totally outraged because we can go to other folks aide (we all know with whom I speak of)and take care of them in the blink of an eye, but because it's our own people, we took our time getting to them,giving them aide. We all know "WHY" "BLACK, POOR & UNEDUCATED" to what was happening to them. THE "GOVERNMENT" of this so called "LAND OF THE FREE", "LAND OF MILK & HONEY" DID NOT of course as we all know" NOTHING" until it was too late. To many had to die, be raped, and killed before our people got help from the "GREAT US of A". As we know the government "WILL NOT OWN UP TO THIS and THEIR SHORT, SHORT COMINGS".

    As a black person I know this and so does my borthers and sisath's. We have been outcasted to the "WHITE WORLD" that as you said we are/or should be used to it.

    "GOVERNMENT IS AT FAULT". NEW ORLEANS, is apart of the us and the government is treating them like strangers. SAD, SAD, but awe so TURE!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home