Celebrity Cafe

Thursday, July 14, 2005

39 Celebrity Circle - HUG YOUR KID!

Greetings,

This is my first blog. 37 Celebrity Circle is not anywhere near Wisteria Lane. We are not Desperate Housewives. I've never seen the popular TV program. I don't have much time for watching television. I write novels and my television time is limited to four hours a week. I'm extremely busy with life as we all are. One of the relatively new time-consuming additions to my life is adoption.

I'm in the process of adopting a three-year-old. It's a girl and she's been with me since she was five-months-old. She's a part of the household now and we're in the throws of potty training. This is pulling teeth are two things I hate about and otherwise wonderful experience. My little one is a job. She just ran over and hugged me for no reason. A wide smile and only the need to be loved is paramount in her day.

Remember that feeling of unconditional love? I cherish it. And I never refuse a hug, even when she'd done something I don't like. By eight years old they no longer want you to hug them in public. So I gather these hugs and remember each and every one of them.

So if your child is one day or 80 years old, hug them. We're never too old for a hug.

Shirley Hailstock
39 Celebrity Cirlce

2 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger La Bona, at 9:57 AM  

  • And to take this a step further, stop hugging only the cute child.

    There have been studies and articles written about the attention that "cuter" children receive. Parents, of course, denied this vehemently, but facts were facts when they were presented with the observations and behavior patterns. Even their attention and security measures were affected by the attractiveness of their child.

    Both my kids are cute, so we won't be having that problem :-)

    I know that I hugged my kids more as toddlers than now as 9 and 10 yr olds. They do get their night-time hugs that has become the ritual before they would go to sleep. Sometimes I impulsively pull my 9 yr old son to me and waltz with him in the kitchen. No music is playing. I sing and he tells me how much I can't sing.

    Then my daughter and I will watch TV. She'll lie in the crook of my arm. We'll watch Just So Raven or Lizzy McGuire together. Then I'll switch to the History Channel and hug time is over.

    Wow - this makes me want to go home and scoop them up.

    Michelle
    Residing at 41 Celebrity Circle

    By Blogger Michelle Monkou, at 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home